It is always exciting to receive a new mobile device. To quickly activate your new iPhone, follow these instructions.
- Ensure you have iTunes 12.1. You may download it here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
- Connect your old phone to the computer
- If iTunes does not launch, launch it
- You need to make sure you have an ENCRYPTED backup of your phone. Encrypting the backup backs up passwords, settings, and network keys. With your phone connected to iTunes, select the device from the top menu.
1a-SetEncrypted.png [ 272.29 KiB | Viewed 21595 times ]
- If you do not see the device menu (red arrow), click the ellipsis and it will be in that menu. Select your device.
- Now set the device to do an encrypted backup to THIS computer. Do not use an iTunes backup. It does not backup settings and passwords. The two devices do NOT have to have the same OS. You can restore from an older version of the OS to the new device.
1-Encrypted.png [ 17.29 KiB | Viewed 21595 times ]
- Set a password for the backup. It can be anything you want. I STRONGLY recommend using your iTunes password. If you forget this password, you are done. There is NOTHING anyone can do to recover the backup. Wait for the backup to complete.
- Select File, Devices, Transfer purchases
2-TransferPurchases.png [ 16.85 KiB | Viewed 21595 times ]
- When the transfer is complete, disconnect your old phone and turn it off
- Connect the new device to the computer. It may take a few moments as it installs drivers on the machine. You do NOT need to respond to anything on the device screen unless it asks to trust the computer. If it does, trust the computer.
- Acknowledge the various warranty and license agreements
- When you reach the welcome to your new iPhone screen, select Restore from this backup: (select the backup you just made). Click continue. Enter the password you established for the backup.
3-RestoreFromBackup.png [ 15.99 KiB | Viewed 21595 times ]
- The phone will restore your apps/music/settings
- When the restore completes, you will be notified the phone is rebooting
- You will be notified the update is complete
5-UpdateCompleted.PNG [ 47.46 KiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
- You will be asked to sign in to your iTunes account
6-iCloudSignin.PNG [ 82.67 KiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
- You will be asked to setup TouchID. If you are going to use Apple Pay, you MUST complete this step, otherwise, this is an option
6b-TouchID.JPG [ 843.33 KiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
- You will either be asked to enable Location services or enable Find my iPhone (or both). Enable both
7-FindmyiPhone.PNG [ 70.25 KiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
7a-EnableLocationServices.PNG [ 74.85 KiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
- You will be asked to upgrade to iCloud Drive. It is free and carries several benefits. Click the upgrade button
8-iCloudDrive.PNG [ 97.06 KiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
- You will be asked to set a passcode. This is your option. If you are need to keep things confidential, a passcode is recommended.
9-SetPasscode.PNG [ 64.24 KiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
- You will be asked to make your display zoom preference. Tap Choose a view Tap Standard or Zoom on the next screen and then tap Next
10-DisplayZoom.PNG [ 357.24 KiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
11-SetZoom.PNG [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
- The new phone will sync to your iTunes library. This could take a while depending on the size of your library.
- You still do not need to respond to anything on the phone unless you are asked to trust the computer
- Respond to the prompts on the phone (your phone may reboot)
- The phone may activate with Verizon automatically (you will see Verizon in the upper-left corner of the screen). If not, call (877) 807-4646 from another phone (NOT your iPhone). You will receive a prompt for English or Spanish. Respond. Enter your 10-digit phone number. It will ask you if you want to activate now or later, select now. The phone should activate. If it does not, Larry will have to work with Verizon for you.
- If an OS update is available, you should install it now.
- IMPORTANT: to save LOTS of battery life: tap Settings, General, Accessibility. Find Reduce Motion. Tap it. Make sure it is ON.
- Activate against our MDM by following the steps in this article: http://www.gcschools.net/tech/bb/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=386
- Once you are SURE all your content has successfully synced to your new phone, you should wipe your old phone.
- Power on your old phone
- Select Settings, General, Reset (this option is at the bottom of the list)
12-Reset.PNG [ 72.52 KiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
- Select Erase All Content and Settings
13-EraseALL.PNG [ 57.23 KiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
- You will be prompted again
14-EraseiPhone.PNG [ 67.9 KiB | Viewed 21593 times ]
- You will be asked for your iTunes password. Enter it. You may be prompted one more time. This is irrecoverable (except from the backup you made above). Make sure you are ready to decommission the old device before performing this step.
- Power the old device off and return it to Larry at GCOC
Congratulations! Your new device is ready to use! Enjoy!