PowerTeacher Gradebook Quick Help SheetHomepage Icons:
- Chairs= Attendance- when taken, circle turns green (Tardies and early withdrawals are put in by secretary)
- Silverware= Lunch count- We DON’T use
- Backpack= Student Information (Quick Look-up is very useful-shows all classes and grades). Elementary uses Daily Attendance
- Printer= Reports for homeroom (20 day attendance report)
- “Look at it as a communication tool for parents and students, not just as our teacher gradebook.” Eventually, parents will have access. Make assignment names understandable (pg #’s or details). Put assignments/tests in as you plan them and use due date so parents can see what is due, and when. (MUST use due dates in that 6 weeks)Scoresheet:
- Top Left drop down box- view present and past semester/year/marking period grades (Historical Vault)
- Middle of page drop down box- Marking periods- make sure you’re on the current marking period when you’re adding assignments.
- Left Panel- Classes/Sections
- Homeroom- use for records (fees, yearbook, $, form checklists for field trips, interims, report cards, or weekly folders)
- Classes/Sections taught is for assignments and grades (Can also use for records—Just uncheck “Add to final grade”)
- Set up every class at the beginning of the year for each reporting term
- Set up types of assignments/categories that you might have throughout the year in all subjects (HW/CW, Test, Project, Participation, Forms, etc.) ( bottom left)
- Set up M1-M6 separately for each subject- Can use total points or Category Weights. (This is each teacher’s preference.)
- Total points- just click total points and you’re finished. (Can specify how many low grade you want dropped)
- Category weights- Choose categories and assign weights for each. (ex: HW/CW weight is 50, Test is 40, and Participation is 10) Percentages MUST add up to 100%. (Can specify how many lowest grades you want to drop from each category in right column)
- Year- Y1- term weights (M1-M6 are equal for elementary)
- 2 ways- Use + on Assignment tab or + on Scoresheet (Quickest way) - Make sure you are on the correct reporting term!
- Make name of assignment understandable. Date needs to be DUE DATE!
- Choose category from drop down box and score type.
- Uncheck “Include in final grade” if it is not something you want counted. (Can go back after adding grades and uncheck this if you don’t like the results and don’t want the grade counted against the students.)
- Click Publish Tab and choose when you want it visible to parents.
- Click Save!
- choose options according to your preference
Very useful reports:
- Missing assignments
- Student Roster
- Multi-section reports
- Interims- Homeroom and correct reporting term need to be highlighted
- Choose selected class, total student schedule, and print
- New students- Added for you by your secretary. Must have a final grade for all six weeks, so go into Y1 (the full Year reporting term) and fill in prior term grades. (Prior grades from PR’s or previous teacher. If no info, grades by teacher discretion- as long as you can justify the grades you’ve given.)
- Students changing sections/groups or to highlight groups (spec ed. Or ELL) - Go to student groups on left- add group (use colors or other names) - drag and drop names into new group (will still show on old group). Then, email your tech dept. for permanent changes.
- Can view dropped grades and students. They are not gone! Go to student groups on left of scoresheet in correct term and class- Use dropdown box to filter dropped students.
- Grades are “live” during current 9 weeks, but are then stored in the “Vault” the following week. Any change in grades after this time needs to be submitted to your tech dept. for them to be permanently saved in the vault.
- Can use test server http://184.108.40.206/teachers